In 2011, to give residents of eastern Taiwan safe, convenient, speedy and sustainable roadways, the government began the Suhua Highway of Provincial Highway No.9 Mountainous Section Improvement Project. The project focused on three sections of the highway—from Su’ao to Dong’ao, from Nan’ao to Heping, and from Hezhong to Daqingshui. Bridges were built to straighten winding sections of highway in the mountains, and tunnels were created to reduce damage from landslides. In total, 38.8 kilometers of the highway were improved. It is expected that the entire route will be opened to traffic in January of 2020. To mark the completion of the project, Chunghwa Post is issuing a set of two stamps. Descriptions of their designs follow:
1. Baimi Viaduct (NT$28): Located in Yilan County’s Su’ao Township, this scenic bridge is Taiwan’s first double-towered extradosed bridge with corrugated steel webs. Its white towers are curved to suggest grains of rice and are notched at the top. Beautiful with gentle, flowing curves, the bridge is regarded as representative of the Suhua Highway Improvement Project.
2. Nan’ao Beixi Bridge (NT$35): Located in Yilan County’s Nan’ao Township, this is a double-towered single-cable extradosed bridge. The towers have been designed to resemble pairs of hands holding up the sky, thus suggesting respect for God and the natural environment. Set against beautiful natural surroundings, the bridge, with its distinctive lines and color, has become an important landmark for the Nan’ao area.
(1) First Day Cover (162mm×114mm): NT$2 apiece
(2) Folder (with or without mount): NT$5 apiece
(3) Loose-leaf album page: NT$8 apiece
(4) Pre-cancelled FDC affixed with one NT$28-denominated stamp: NT$30 apiece
(5) Pre-cancelled FDC affixed with a full set of stamps: NT$65 apiece
To purchase the relative philatelic products, please go directly to the post office branches, Postal Museum or order on line at https://stamp.post.gov.tw