Dongsha Atoll National Park, the Republic of China’s seventh national park, is the nation’s first marine national park. It is located at the northern edge of South China Sea, and because of its special geological and ecological features, it supports abundant marine life. To introduce the beauty of Dongsha Atoll National Park, Chunghwa Post is specially releasing a set of four stamps on Dongsha Atoll, Dongsha Coral Reef, Dongsha Seagrass Bed, and Dongsha Island. Descriptions of the designs follow:
1. Dongsha Atoll (NT$8): Located around 450 km southwest of Kaohsiung and arrayed in a nearly circular shape, with a diameter of about 25 km and a total area of about 500 km2, Dongsha Atoll was created from hermatypic corals over tens of millions of years. Red-breasted wrasse is a commonly seen fish here of the Labridae family.
2. Dongsha Coral Reef (NT$13): Dongsha Atoll is famous for its coral reef ecosystem, which supports splendidly diverse marine life. Yellowhead demoiselle is a fish endemic to South China Sea. It lives in shallow waters where reef meets sand.
3. Dongsha Seagrass Bed (NT$15): Seagrass beds spread over the lagoons in Dongsha Island and the shallow seas around the atoll, providing excellent habitat for small animals, where they can both find food and hide themselves. Spotted eagle ray has snowflake-like white spots spread over its back and a white belly. It is a commonly seen cartilaginous fish in the waters around Dongsha.
4. Dongsha Island (NT$28): Located on the western side of Dongsha Atoll, formed by accumulations of coral sand and shell fragments, Dongsha Island protrudes above the surface of the water year-round. The entire island is low-lying and flat, comprising an area of around 174 hectares. White-breasted waterhen is currently the island’s only non-migratory bird species. It mostly lives among the island’s shrubs.
(1) First Day Cover (195 mm × 120 mm): NT$3 apiece
(2) Folder (with or without mount): NT$8 apiece
(3) Loose-leaf album page: NT$8 apiece
(4) Maximum cards: NT$40 a set
(5) Pre-cancelled FDC affixed with one NT$8-denominated stamp: NT$11 apiece
(6) Pre-cancelled FDC affixed with a complete set of stamps: NT$67 apiece
To purchase the relative philatelic products, please go directly to the post office branches, Postal Museum or order on line at https://stamp.post.gov.tw