Lighthouses are important facilities for maritime navigation. By helping to guide ships, they make a major contribution to the preservation of maritime safety. Chunghwa Post released a set of stamps on Lighthouses in 2014, and now it is following up with “Lighthouses Postage Stamps (Issue of 2018).” The set will include four stamps and feature the Kaomei Lighthouse, the Wuchiu Yu Lighthouse, the Suao Lighthouse, and the Anping Lighthouse. The designs follow:
1. The Kaomei Lighthouse (NT$8): Located on the Kaomei Coast north of the Port of Taichung, the Kaomei Lighthouse was built in 1967. The lighthouse is an octagonal reinforced-concrete structure with red and white horizontal stripes. It is currently out of commission, but locals in the Kaomei wetlands regard it as an important cultural landmark.
2. The Wuchiu Yu Lighthouse (NT$8): Located at the highest point on Wuchiu Yu Island in Kinmen county’s Wuchiu Township, this round lighthouse made of dark stone was constructed in 1874. In response to military needs during wartime, its light was turned off in 1954. In 2008 it was designated a county historical site, and in July of 2017 its light was turned back on.
3. The Suao Lighthouse (NT$12): Located on the ridge behind Beifangao of the Suao Township in Ilan County, the Suao Lighthouse—a white, square reinforced-concrete tower—was constructed in 1927. Bombing raids during World War II damaged the tower, taking its light out of commission. It was repaired and put back into commission in 1949.
4. The Anping Lighthouse (NT$15): Now located on the beach north of Anping Harbor in Tainan City, this lighthouse was originally built in 1872. In 1909, it was rebuilt as a round, white masonry building at Anping Fort. Its light went out of commission in 1960, and in 1965 it was moved to its current location and rebuilt as a conical and square skeletal steel tower, with a working light.
(1) First Day Cover: NT$3 apiece
(2) Folder (with or without mount): NT$8 apiece
(3) Loose-leaf album page: NT$8 apiece
(4) Maximum cards: NT$40 a set
(5) Pre-cancelled FDC affixed with one NT$8-denominated stamp:
(6) Pre-cancelled FDC affixed with a complete set of stamps:
(7) Lighthouses Postage Stamps Collecting Folio: NT$330 a copy
To purchase the relative philatelic products, please go directly to the post office branches, Postal Museum or order on line at https://stamp.post.gov.tw