Having previously issued three sets of stamps in the “Seashells of Taiwan” series (in October 2007, July 2008, and February 2009), Chunghwa Post is now following up with another set of four stamps, featuring Thatcheria mirabilis, Tibia martinii, Stellaria solaris and Rapa rapa. The designs follow:
1. Thatcheria mirabilis (NT$5): Most of these spindle-shaped shells are pale tawny in color. With eight whorls, these unique and beautiful shells resemble spiral stairs. Their thin shells are covered with fine spiral and axial threads and their many layers of spires are slightly pointy.
2. Tibia martinii (NT$5): Shaped like spindles, these tawny-colored shells are light and thin with tall pointy spires. There are about 10 to 11 slightly rounded whorls. These shells have smooth and glossy surfaces, with leaf-like apertures and pointy slender siphonal canals.
3. Stellaria solaris (NT$12): Cone-shaped, these light brown or tawny shells have six to seven slightly rounded whorls and very low spires. Their surfaces are covered with fine wave-like threads. Around each whorl is a row of finger-like protrusions spaced at regular intervals, which make them look like geared wheels.
4. Rapa rapa (NT$12): Shaped like pears or balls, and creamy white or pale yellow in color, these shells are thicker and have very low spires, large whorls, and obvious sutures. Their surfaces are covered with large obvious spiral sculptures and fine obscure axial threads. They have very large apertures, large umbilical openings and thick siphonal canals that extend downwards.
To add to philatelic interest, a stamp folio containing one set of the 4 stamps and a set of 4 pre-cancelled maximum cards will be released together with the stamps.
(1) First Day Cover: NT$2 apiece.
(2) Folder: NT$5 apiece
(3) Folder with mount: NT$5 apiece.
(4) Loose-leaf album page：NT$8 apiece.
(5)Pre-cancelled FDC affixed with one NT$5-denominated stamp: NT$7 apiece.
(6) Pre-cancelled FDC affixed with a complete set of stamps: NT$36 apiece.
(7) Stamp folio: NT$160 apiece
To purchase the relative philatelic products, please go directly to the post office branches, or order on line at http://stamp.post.gov.tw