2013 marks the Chinese New Year of the Snake, and Chunghwa Post is issuing a new set of New Year’s Greeting Postage Stamps with two stamps and a souvenir sheet featuring the upcoming year’s animal sign. In keeping with the pop modern art and traditional Chinese ink-wash styles of the 2010 and 2011 issues, the vignette of each of the stamps features an artistically papercutted snake or a pair of snakes colored in bright yellow and royal purple against a pale-orange background with random yellow splatters. The bright color scheme spotlights the joyous atmosphere of the Year of the Snake. The designs follow:
1. NT$3.50 Stamp: The long bodies curled against each other in symmetry and the heads pointing to opposite directions, this pair of snakes represents the spirit of “one mind” and symbolizes “warmth and all one’s wishes will come true.”
2. NT$13.00 Stamp: The snake’s head surges forward, with the plump, curved body curling behind. The snake looks spirited and ready to spring into action. This image represents “courage” and symbolizes “marching ahead bravely.”
3. NT$12.00 Souvenir Sheet: With its upper body standing erect and the head tilting to one side to face its curved tail, this snake signifies “mettle,” and reflects the spirit of “sprightliness and “everything goes according to one’s wishes.”
Two press sheets, stored in a poster tube, are included in the issue for sale on the same day. Each of these uncut sheets consists of two panes of 20 stamps, with denominations of NT$3.50 and NT$13.00 respectively. Printer’s markings remain on the sheet margin. A certificate of authenticity is also included in the tube. Launched in 2009, this series of philatelic items are produced in limited quantities, and very much worth collecting.
(1) First Day Cover: NT$2.00 apiece.
(2) First Day Cover in large size: NT$3.00 apiece.
(3) Stamp folder: NT$5.00 apiece.
(4) Stamp folder with mount: NT$5.00 apiece.
(5) Stamp folder with mount for souvenir sheet: NT$8.00 apiece.
(6) Loose-leaf stamp album page with plastic cover: NT$16.00 apiece.
(7) Pre-cancelled First Day Cover affixed with one NT$3.50-denominated stamp: NT$5.50 apiece.
(8) Pre-cancelled First Day Cover affixed with a complete set of stamps: NT$18.50 apiece.
(9) Pre-cancelled First Day Cover affixed with a souvenir sheet: NT$15.00 apiece.
(10) Uncut press sheets in a poster tube: NT$1,000.00 a unit. No discount for large quantity orders.
To purchase the relative philatelic products, please go directly to the post office branches, or order on line at http://stamp.post.gov.tw.
The uncut press sheets will be available at the Postal Museum and the following post office branches: Taipei Beimen Post Office, Beitou Post Office, Neihu Post Office, Nangang Post Office, Muzha Post Office, Keelung Aisan Rd. Post Office, Banqiao Wunhua Rd. Post Office, Xindian Post Office, Shulin Post Office, Sanchong Zhongshan Rd. Post Office, Danshuei Post Office, Xinzhuang Post Office, Taoyuan Chenggong Rd. Post Office, Zhongli Jianguo Rd. Post Office, Longtan Post Office, Yangmei Post Office, Hsinchu Wuchang St. Post Office, Miaoli Zhongmiao Post Office, Taichung Minqyuan Rd. Post Office, Fongyuan Zhongzheng Rd. Post Office, Changhwa Zhongyang Rd. Post Office, Yuanlin Post Office, Nantou Sanhe Post Office, Douliou Xiping Rd. Post Office, Chiayi Wunhua Rd. Post Office, Chiayi Yushan Post Office, Tainan Chenggong Rd. Post Office, Xinying Zhongshan Rd. Post Office, Jiali Post Office, Kaohsiung Xinxing Post Office, Fongshan Zhongshan East Rd. Post Office, Gangshan Post Office, Pingtung Minsheng Rd. Post Office, Yilan Zhongshan Rd. Post Office, Luodong Post Office, Hualien Guoan Post Office, Taitung Datong Rd. Post Office, Magong Zhongzheng Rd. Post Office.