|Stamp Name||Sp.380 The Auspicious Postage Stamps (1998)|
|Stamp Cat Standard||Special Stamps|
|Stamp Cat||Lunar New Year, Flowers|
|Dimension of stamps(mm.)||25.5X36 (mm)|
|Size of souvenir Sheet (mm.)|
|Printer||China Color Printing Co., Inc., R. O. C.|
|Sheet composition||20 ( 4 X 5 )
|Process||Deep etch offset|
|Perforation||11 1/2 x 12|
Both here in Taiwan and abroad, people wish for luck on New Year’s. Among Chinese in particular, it is a
traditional custom. To celebrate Lunar New Year and in recognition of people’s desire for good luck in it,
the Directorate issued sets of Auspicious Postage Stamps in 1991, 1992 and 1993 that were well received
by philatelists. To add to the festive atmosphere this Lunar New Year, the Directorate has specially printed
a set of four "Auspicious Postage Stamps" (Issue of 1998) that features common Chinese expressions
conveying good fortune: "A Happy Occasion of Abundance", "A Harmonious Union as One Wishes",
"Honor and Wealth" and "All Is Lucky." Each stamp bears an image out of one of the popular utensils,
flowers and fruits, etc. whose Chinese word implies a metaphor under one of the pictophonetic, phonetic
loan and homophonic types and thus has traditionally been used to convey good fortune. Yu, for instance,
means both fish and abundance in Chinese, and thus the "Happy Occasion of Abundance" stamp features
fish. Two of the stamps have a face value of NT$5.00, and the others have a face value of NT$12.00.
(l) First Day Cover to be sold at NT$ 1.00 apiece.
(2) Folder especially prepared for the stamps to be sold at NT$2.00 apiece.
(3) Folder with crystal mount for better protection of the stamps to be sold at NT$4.00 apiece.
(4) Loose-leaf stamp album page with plastic cover to be sold at NT$8.00 apiece.
(5) Pre-cancelled First Day Cover affixed with a low valued stamp to be sold at
(6) Pre-cancelled First Day Cover affixed with a complete set of stamps to be sold at