|Stamp Name||100th Anniversary of Soochow University Commemorative Issue|
|Stamp Cat Standard||Commemorative Stamps|
|Stamp Cat||Culture && Education, Activities|
|Dimension of stamps(mm.)||37 x 29(mm)|
|Size of souvenir Sheet (mm.)|
|Printer||China Color Printing Co.,Inc., R.O.C.|
|Creative Director||Ben Wang|
|Sheet composition||20(5 x 4)
|Process||Deep etch offset|
|Paper||Phosphorescent stamp paper<br>|
Soochow University was established in 1900 in Soochow, Mainland China, and it is now the oldest western-style university still operating in China. March 16, 2000 is the 100th anniversary of the school, and to mark this occasion the Directorate is issuing a set of two commemorative stamps. The stamps will have denominations of NT$5.00 and NT$25.00. The NT$5.00 stamp features the school gate and a general-use building on its Waishuanghsi campus, with the clear Shuanghsi River off to the side. The NT$25.00 stamp features the statue Justice at the Soochow School of Law on the downtown campus and the school emblem and Ansu Hall on its Waishuanghsi campus. The school's motto is superimposed across the stamps.
Soochow University was founded in Soochow (Suchou) by Methodists in 1900. Soochow is located in what was in ancient times the Eastern Wu kingdom, and so the Chinese name of the school is Eastern Wu University. 1n 1954, with the approval of the Ministry of Education, Soochow's law school was re-established in Taiwan. In 1961, Soochow moved to its Waishuanghsi campus, and added more departments as well as graduate and Ph.D. Programs. In 1969, the school became a university again. In 1972, its downtown campus situated in the Chung Cheng district of Taipei city was finished. The university has had two campuses ever since. The Waishuanghsi campus is blessed with beautiful scenery, and is home to the School of Arts and Social Sciences, the School of Science and the School of Foreign Languages and Cultures. The downtown campus is home to the School of Law, the School of Business and the Extension School. For the last hundred years, the university, transcending political parties and religions, with an approach that is both practical and caring, has cultivated talented individuals who have both fortitude and professional knowledge. The colors of the school are red and black. Red represents eager devotion, and black represents fortitude and tolerance.