The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, one of the specialized agencies to promote collaboration among the nations through education, science and culture, came into existence on November 4, 1946 with its Headquarters in Paris. On a site covering an area of 7.5 acres provided by the French government, the UNESCO built a new office building designed by world-famous architects. The construction work was started in April 1954 and completed in November 1958. The inauguration of this gigantic building on November 3, 1958 was celebrated by delegates from all member countries and by the issue of commemorative stamps by various Postal Administrations. The design selected for this set of commemorative stamps is a bird's-eye view of the new building.